Friday, May 14, 2010

"Whisper" Review

"Whisper" by Phoebe Kitanidis

Synopsis:
I'd love a cup of coffee...I wish she didn't hide how pretty she is... I hope she didn't find out what Ben said about her... I wish I knew how many calories were in a bite of muffin...
Joy is used to Hearing Whispers. She's used to walking down the street and instantly knowing people's deepest, darkest desires. She uses this talent for good-- to make people happy and give them what they want. But for her older sister, Jessica, the family gift is a curse, and she uses it to make people's lives-- especially Joy's-- miserable. Still, when Joy Hears Jessica Whisper 'I want to kill my Hearing dead, and kill me too if that's what it takes', she knows she has to save her sister, even if it means deserting her friends, stealing a car, and running away with a boy she barely knows-- a boy who may have a dark secret of his own.

Review:
Rating- **** (stars)
Let me just say that this book was amazing. Even though I may say that about a lot of books, this one I really mean it. I think what I liked most about it was the fact that I can't recall ever reading a book about someone who can hear people's deepest desires. It's unique, unlike most books now that are about vampires and werewolves. The main character, Joy, was kind of shallow the way she treats her sister. On the flip-side, she tries to make others happy by doing simple things like giving an old lady a tissue when she Whispers that she doesn't have one.

P.S. I liked this type of paranormal book so if anyone could think of any books that are similar to this they'd recommend, let me know. Thanks :)