Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"The Sky is Everywhere" Review


"The Sky is Everywhere" by Jandy Nelson

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life-- and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

Review:
Rating- **** (stars)
I have mixed feelings about this book. I like the fact that it's about a girl named Lennie who's trying to cope through the death of her sister, but I don't really like how she keeps going between these two boys. One of which (Toby) was her sister's boyfriend before she died. I mean, I don't have a sister, but I'm pretty sure that's not an acceptable thing to do. I pictured Joe as this gorgeous guy and I don't really think "Joe" is a good name for him at all. I think my favorite part of the book is the random memories she writes in random places and there is a picture of one in every chapter. It gives you a better insight to Lennie's feels. If you like sappy love story endings this book is for you.