Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Sisters in Sanity" Review

"Sisters in Sanity" by Gayle Forman

Synopsis:
For sixteen-year-old Brit Hemphill, it's hard to know who she can trust. Convinced she's out of control, her father has sentenced her to Red Rock: a center for supposedly rebellious teens, where the therapy consists of name-calling and the girls who get privileges are the the ones who rat out their peers.
But the Brit meets V, Bebe, Martha, and Cassie-- four girls who keep her from going over the edge. Together, they'll hold on to their sanity and their sisterhood despite the bleak Red Rock reality.

Review:
Rating- **** (stars)
This book was kinda different from what I normally read but I was surprised at how much I liked it when I finished. What really shocked me was at the end I read the Author's Note and I discovered that this book was inspired by a true event. I have been oblivious to the fact that there really are schools like Red Rock and that kids can be treated this way. The bond the girls have throughout the story is amazing that they can still find fun while in such a dismal place. This can be a depressing book at times when you stop and think about how they are being treated but I'm glad that there is a little bit of romance in there too to liven it up a little.

Kudos to Gayle Forman for writing such an inspiring book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.